The Master Key
by Charles F Haanel
Fully to understand grand and beautiful thought requires, perhaps, as much time as to conceive it. JOUBERT
If you wish to enjoy the utmost practical benefit from The Master Key go slowly.
Transfuse into your mind the contents of one part only, each week for twenty-four weeks.
Realize the meaning of every phrase. The Glossary is there to help you.
Consult The Master Key constantly, as your perpetual help and stimulus.
Each time you read the work you will get a better understanding of the eternal cosmic principles.
Tell others of The Master Key so that more and more people may reciprocate with you, as conscious adepts in harmony.
The PublishersAddendum: In the context of the Ardue Web Site, I strongly advise readers to make the most of their opportunity to acquire the wisdom contained in this book by referring also to the materials listed under "See also:".
The Ardue Editor
This Part warns against the numerous counterfeits and perversions by which many are led to think that something can be had for nothing. There is no royal road to success; we must give before we can get. If we cannot give money, we must give service; we must give time and thought. The Law of Compensation demands an eye for an eye. It tells how we may create the implements by which we may put into operation the laws by which we can gain access to the unlimited resources of Nature.
In Point 4 below, you will find the following statement: "You must have: first, the knowledge of your power; second, the courage to dare; third, the faith to do".
If you concentrate upon the thoughts given, if you give them your entire attention, you will find a world of meaning in each sentence and will attract to yourself other thoughts in harmony with them. You will soon grasp the full significance of the vital knowledge upon which you are concentrating.
Knowledge does not apply itself; we must make the application as individuals, and the application consists in fertilizing the thought with a living purpose.
The time and thought which most persons waste in aimless effort would accomplish wonders if properly directed with some special object in view. In order to do this, it is necessary to centre your mental force upon a specific thought and hold it there, to the exclusion of all other thoughts.
If you have ever looked through the focusing screen of a camera, you found that when the object was not in focus, the impression was indistinct and possibly blurred; but when the proper focus was obtained, the picture was clear and distinct. This illustrates the power of concentration. Unless you can concentrate upon the object which you have in view, you will have but a hazy, indifferent, vague, indistinct, and blurred outline of your ideal, and the results will be in accordance with your mental picture.
Point by Point
- There is no purpose in life that is not best accomplished through a scientific understanding of the creative power of thought.
- The power to think is common to all. Man is because he thinks. Man's power to think is infinite and his creative power is consequently unlimited.
- We know that thought is building for us the thing we think of and actually bringing it nearer. Yet we find it difficult to banish fear, anxiety, or discouragement, all of which are powerful thought forces which continually send the things we desire further away. One step forward is too often followed by two steps backward.
- The only way to keep from going backward is to keep going forward. Eternal vigilance is the price of success. There are three steps, and each one is absolutely essential. You must have: first, the knowledge of your power; second, the courage to dare; third, the faith to do.
- With this as a basis, you can construct an ideal business, an ideal home, ideal friends, ideal environment. You are not restricted as to material or cost. Thought is omnipotent and has the power to draw on the Infinite Bank of primary substance for all that is required. Infinite resources are therefore at your command.
- But your ideal must be sharp, clear-cut, definite. To have one ideal to-day, another to-morrow, and a third next week would be to scatter your forces and accomplish nothing. Your result would be a meaningless and chaotic combination of wasted material.
- This is the unfortunate result which many are securing, and the cause is self-evident. If a sculptor started out with a piece of marble and a chisel and changed his ideal every fifteen minutes, what result could he expect? And why should you expect any different result in moulding the greatest and most plastic of all substances, the only real substance?
- The result of this indecision and negative thought is often found in the loss of material wealth. Supposed independence which required many years of toil and effort suddenly disappears. It is then often found that money and property do not represent independence at all. On the contrary, the only real independence arises from a practical working knowledge of the creative power of thought.
- This practical working method cannot come to you until you learn that the only real power which you can have is the power to adjust yourself to Divine and unchangeable principles. You cannot change the Infinite, but you can come into an understanding of Natural laws. The reward of this understanding is a conscious realization of your ability to adjust your thought faculties to the Universal Thought which is Omnipresent. Your ability to co-operate with this Omnipotence will determine the degree of success with which you meet.
- The power of thought has many counterfeits which are more or less fascinating, but the results are harmful instead of helpful.
- Of course, worry, fear, and all negative thoughts produce a crop after their kind. Those who harbour thoughts of this kind must inevitably reap exactly what they have sown.
- There are the Phenomena seekers who gourmandise on the so-called proofs and demonstrations obtained at materialising seances. They throw open their mental doors and soak themselves in the most poisonous currents which can be found in the psychic world. They do not seem to understand that it is the ability to become negative, receptive, and passive and thus drain themselves of all their vital force which enables them to bring about those vibratory thought forms.
- There are also those who seem to think that they can sow seed of one kind and by "Will Power" make it bear fruit of another: but the idea of thus forcing compliance with their wishes antagonises the very power which they are seeking to use.
- Such perversions have their temporary satisfaction and, for some, a keen fascination: but there is an infinitely greater fascination in a true understanding of the world of power within. This power increases with use; it is permanent instead of fleeting. It works not only for correcting past errors resulting from wrong thinking but also as a prophylactic agency protecting us from all manner of danger. Inner power is an actual creative force with which we can build new conditions and a new environment.
- The law is that thought will correlate with its object and bring forth in the material world whatever corresponds to the thought created in the mental world. We then discern the absolute necessity of ensuring that every thought has the inherent germ of truth in order that the law of growth will manifest as good, for good alone can confer permanent power. [My emphasis. Ed.]
- The principle which gives the thought the dynamic power to correlate with its object and therefore to master every adverse human experience, is the law of attraction which is another name for love. This is an eternal and fundamental principle inherent in all things, in every system of Philosophy, in every true Religion, and in every Science. There is no getting away from the law of love. It is feeling that imparts vitality to thought. Feeling is desire, and desire is love. Thought impregnated with love becomes invincible.
- We find this truth emphasized wherever the power of thought is understood. The Universal Mind is not only Intelligence: it is substance, and this substance is the attractive force which brings electrons together by the law of attraction to form atoms; the atoms in turn are brought together by the same law to form molecules; molecules take objective forms; and so we find that the law of love is the creative force behind every manifestation, not only of atoms, but of worlds, of the Universe, of everything of which the imagination can form any conception.
- It is the operation of this marvellous law of attraction which has caused men in all ages and at all times to believe that there must be some personal Being who responded to their petitions and desires, and manipulated events in order to comply with their requirements. [My emphasis. Ed.]
- It is the combination of Thought and Love which forms the irresistible force called the Law of Attraction. All natural laws are irresistible. The law of gravitation, of electricity, and every other Natural law operates with mathematical exactitude. There is no variation: it is only the channel of distribution which may be imperfect. If a bridge falls, we do not attribute the collapse to any variation of the law of gravitation. If a light bulb fails us, we do not conclude that the laws governing electricity cannot be depended upon. If the law of attraction seems to be imperfectly demonstrated by an inexperienced or uninformed person, we are not to conclude that the greatest and most infallible law upon which the entire system of creation depends has been suspended. We should rather conclude that a little more understanding of the law is required, for the same reason that a correct solution of a difficult problem in Mathematics is not always readily and easily obtained.
- Things are created in the mental or spiritual world before they appear in the outward act or event. By the simple process of governing our thought forces to-day, we help create the events which will come into our lives in the future, perhaps even to-morrow. Educated desire is the most potent means of bringing the law of attraction into action.
- Man is so constituted that he must first create the tools or implements by which he gains the power to think. [My emphasis. Ed.] The mind cannot comprehend an entirely new idea until a corresponding vibratory brain cell has been prepared to receive it. This explains why it is so difficult for us to receive or appreciate an entirely new idea. We have no brain cell capable of receiving it; we are therefore incredulous; we do not believe it.
- If, therefore, you have not become familiar with the Omnipotence of the law of attraction and the scientific method by which it can be put into operation, if you have not yet grasped the unlimited possibilities which it opens to those who are enabled to take advantage of the resources it offers, begin now to create the necessary brain cells which will enable you to comprehend the unlimited powers which may be yours by co-operating with Natural Law. This is done by concentration of attention.
- The intention governs the attention. Power comes through repose. It is by concentration that deep thoughts, wise speech, and all forces of high potentiality are accomplished.
- It is in the Silence that you get into touch with the Omnipotent power of the subconscious mind from which all power is evolved. [My emphasis. Ed.]
- He who desires wisdom, power, or permanent success of any kind will find it only within. It is an unfolding. The unthinking may conclude that inner silence is very simple and easily attained, but it should be remembered that only in absolute silence may one come into contact with Divinity itself, may learn of the unchangeable law, and open for himself the channels through which persistent practice and concentration lead to perfection.
- Now go to the same room, take the same chair, the same position as heretofore; be sure to relax, let go, both mentally and physically. Always do this; never try to do any mental work under pressure. See that there are no tense muscles or nerves, that you are entirely comfortable. Now realize your unity with Omnipotence. Get into touch with this Power. Come into a deep and vital understanding, appreciation, and realization of the fact that your ability to think is your ability to act upon the Universal Mind and bring it into manifestation. Realize that it will meet any and every requirement; that you have exactly the same potential ability as any individual has ever had or ever will have, because each is but an expression or manifestation of the One. All are parts of the Whole. There is no difference in kind or quality: the only difference is one of degree of realisation.
Questions and Answers
111. How may any purpose in life best be accomplished?
A. Through a scientific understanding of the spiritual nature of thought.
112. What three steps are absolutely essential?
A. The knowledge of our power, the courage to dare, the faith to do.
113. How is the practical working knowledge secured?
A. By an understanding of Natural laws.
114. What is the reward of understanding these laws?
A. Conscious realization of our ability to adjust ourselves to Divine and unchanging principles.
115. What will indicate the degree of success with which we meet?
A. The degree in which we realize that we cannot change the Infinite but must co-operate with it.
116. What is the principle which gives thought its dynamic power?
A. The Law of Attraction which rests on vibration and which in turn rests upon the law of love. Thought impregnated with love becomes invincible.
117. Why is this law irresistible?
A. Because it is a Natural law. All Natural laws are irresistible, unchangeable, and act with mathematical exactitude. There is no deviation or variation.
118. Why then does it sometimes seem to be difficult to find the solution to our problems in life?
A. For the same reason that it is sometimes difficult to find the correct solution to a difficult mathematical problem. The operator is uninformed or inexperienced.
119. Why is it impossible for the mind to grasp an entirely new idea?
A. We have no corresponding vibratory brain cell capable of receiving the idea.
120. How is wisdom secured?
A. By concentration. It unfolds; it comes from within.
"Thought cannot conceive of anything that may not be brought to expression. He who first uttered it may be only the suggester, but the doer will appear". WILSON.