The Master Key
by Charles F Haanel
Fully to understand grand and beautiful thought requires, perhaps, as much time as to conceive it. JOUBERT
If you wish to enjoy the utmost practical benefit from The Master Key go slowly.
Transfuse into your mind the contents of one part only, each week for twenty-four weeks.
Realize the meaning of every phrase. The Glossary is there to help you.
Consult The Master Key constantly, as your perpetual help and stimulus.
Each time you read the work you will get a better understanding of the eternal cosmic principles.
Tell others of The Master Key so that more and more people may reciprocate with you, as conscious adepts in harmony.
The PublishersAddendum: In the context of the Ardue Web Site, I strongly advise readers to make the most of their opportunity to acquire the wisdom contained in this book by referring also to the materials listed under "See also:".
The Ardue Editor
This Part explains how we may come into possession of power sufficient to meet every situation which may arise in our lives. It explains that the ability to eliminate imperfect conditions depends upon mental action. It explains that great ideas have a tendency to eliminate smaller ideas, so that it is well to hold ideas which are large enough to counteract and destroy all small or undesirable tendencies. This is one of the secrets of success, one of the accomplishments of the Master Mind. It explains that the creative energy finds no more difficulty in handling a large situation than a small one. It explains how conditions are produced in our lives by the predominant thoughts which we entertain. It explains how you may set causes in motion which will create an irresistible magnetic power which will bring to you the things you require. It explains the issue between the old regime and the new, the crux of the social problem, and the true secret of health, wealth, and power.
In paragraph seven of this Part, you will find that one of the secrets of success, one of the methods of organizing for victory, one of the accomplishments of the Master Mind, is to think big thoughts.
In paragraph eight you will find that everything which we hold in our consciousness for any length of time becomes impressed upon our subconsciousness and so becomes a pattern which the creative energy will weave into our life and environment. This is the secret of the wonderful power of prayer.
We know that the Universe is governed by law; that for every effect there must be a cause, and that the same cause, under the same conditions, will invariably produce the same effect. Consequently, if prayer has ever been answered, it will always be answered provided the proper conditions are complied with. This must necessarily be true: otherwise the Universe would be a chaos instead of a cosmos. The answer to prayer is therefore subject to law, and this law is definite, exact, and scientific just as are the laws governing gravitation and electricity. An understanding of this law takes the foundation of Christianity out of the realm of superstition and credulity and places it upon the firm rock of scientific understanding.
But, unfortunately, there are comparatively few persons who know how to pray. They understand that there are laws governing electricity, mathematics, and chemistry: but, for some inexplicable reason, it never seems to occur to them that there are also spiritual laws, and that these laws are also definite, scientific, exact, and operate with immutable precision.
Point by Point
- The real secret of power is consciousness of power. The Universal Mind is unconditional: therefore, the more conscious we become of our unity with this mind, the less conscious we shall become of conditions and limitations. As we become emancipated or freed from conditions, we come into a realization of the unconditional. We become free!
- As soon as we become conscious of the inexhaustible power in the world within, we begin to draw on this power and apply and develop the greater possibilities which this discernment has realized. Whatever we become conscious of is invariably manifested in the objective world, is brought forth into tangible expression.
- This is because the Infinite Mind, the source from which all things proceed, is one and indivisible, and each individual is a channel whereby this Eternal Energy is being manifested. Our ability to think is our ability to act upon this Universal substance, and what we think is what is created or produced in the objective world.
- The result of this discovery is nothing less than marvellous. It means that mind is extraordinary in quality, limitless in quantity, and contains possibilities without number. To become conscious of this power is to become a "live wire"; it has the same effect as placing an ordinary wire in contact with a wire that is charged. The Universal is the live wire. It carries power sufficient to meet every situation which may arise in the life of every individual. When the individual mind touches the Universal Mind, it receives all the power it requires. This is the world within. All science recognizes the reality of this world, and all power is contingent upon our recognition of this world.
- The ability to eliminate imperfect conditions depends upon mental action. Mental action depends upon consciousness of power. Therefore, the more conscious we become of our unity with the source of all power, the greater will be our power to control and master every condition.
- Large ideas have a tendency to eliminate all smaller ideas, so it is well to hold ideas large enough to counteract and destroy all small or undesirable tendencies. This will remove innumerable petty and annoying obstacles from your path. You also become conscious of a larger world of thought, thereby increasing your mental capacity as well as placing yourself in position to accomplish something of value.
- This is one of the secrets of success, one of the methods of organizing for victory, one of the accomplishments of the Mastermind who thinks big thoughts. The creative energies of mind find no more difficulty in handling large situations than small ones. Mind is just as much present in the infinitely large as in the infinitesimally small.
- When we realize these facts concerning mind, we understand how we may bring to ourselves any condition by creating the corresponding conditions in our consciousness. Everything which is held for any length of time in the consciousness eventually becomes impressed upon the subconscious and thus becomes a pattern which the creative energy will weave into the life and environment of the individual.
- In this way, conditions are produced. We find that our lives are simply the reflection of our predominant thoughts, of our mental attitude. We then see that the science of correct thinking is the one science which includes all other sciences. [My emphasis. Ed.]
- From this science we learn that every thought creates an impression in the brain; that these impressions create mental tendencies; that these tendencies create character, ability, and purpose; and that the combined action of character, ability, and purpose determines the experiences with which we shall meet in life.
- These experiences come to us through the law of attraction. Through the action of this law, we meet in the world without those experiences which correspond to our world within.
- The predominant thought, or the mental attitude, is the magnet; the law is that like attracts like; so that the mental attitude will invariably attract such conditions as correspond to its nature.
- This mental attitude is our personality. It is composed of the thoughts upon which we have been dwelling in our own mind. Therefore, if we wish a change in conditions, all that is necessary is to change our thought. This will in turn change our mental attitude which will change our personality, which will in turn change the persons, things, conditions, and experiences with which we meet in life.
- It is no easy matter to change our mental attitude, but it may be accomplished by persistent effort. Mental attitude is patterned after the mental pictures which have been photographed on the brain. If you do not like the pictures, destroy the negatives and create new pictures. This is the art of visualization.
- As soon as you have done this, you will begin to attract new things, and the new things will correspond to the new pictures. Impress on the mind a perfect picture of the desire which you wish to have objectified, and continue to hold the picture in mind until results are obtained.
- If the desire is one which requires determination, ability, talent, courage, or any other spiritual power, these must be included in your picture. So build them in; they are the vital part of the picture; they are the feeling which combines with thought and creates the irresistible magnetic power which draws toward you the things you require. They give your picture life, and life means growth. As soon as the picture begins to grow, the eventual result is assured.
- Do not hesitate to aspire to the highest possible attainments in anything you may undertake. The mind forces are ever ready to lend themselves to a purposeful will in the effort to crystallize its highest aspirations into acts, accomplishments, and events.
- An illustration of how these mind forces operate is suggested by the method in which all our habits are formed. We do a thing; then we do it again, and again, and again, until it becomes easy and, perhaps, almost automatic. The same procedure applies to breaking any and all bad habits: we stop doing a thing; then we avoid it again, and again, and again until we are entirely free from it. If we do fail now and then, we should by no means lose hope, for the law is absolute and invincible. It so to say gives us credit for every effort and for every success, even though our efforts and successes may be intermittent.
- There is no limit to what this law can do for you. Dare to believe in your own ideal. Remember that Nature is plastic to the ideal. Think of the ideal as an already accomplished fact.
- The real battle of life is one of ideas. It is being fought out by the few against the many. On the one side is the constructive and creative thought; on the other side is the destructive and negative thought. The creative thought is dominated by an ideal; the passive thought is dominated by appearances. There are men of science, men of letters, and men of affairs on both sides.
- On the creative side are men who spend their time in laboratories, or peering into microscopes or telescopes, side by side with the men who dominate the commercial, political, and scientific world. On the negative side are men who spend their time investigating law and precedent, men who mistake theology for religion, statesmen who mistake might for right, and all the millions who seem to prefer precedent to progress, who are eternally looking backward instead of forward, who see only the world without, but know nothing of the world within.
- In the last analysis, there are but these two classes. All men will have to line up on one side or the other. They will have to go forward or back, for there is no standing still in a world where all is motion. It is the attempt to stand still that gives sanction and force to arbitrary and inequitable codes of law. [My emphasis. Ed.]
- That we are in a period of transition is evidenced by the unrest which is everywhere apparent. The complaint of humanity is the rumble of heaven's artillery, commencing with low and threatening notes and increasing until the sound is sent from cloud to cloud, and the lightning rends air and earth.
- The sentries who patrol the most advanced outposts of the Industrial, Political, and Religious worlds are calling anxiously to each other: "What of the night?" The danger and insecurity of the position they occupy and attempt to hold are becoming more apparent every hour. The dawn of a new era necessarily declares that the existing order of things cannot much longer be.
- The issue between the old regime and the new, the crux of the social problem, is entirely a question of conviction in the minds of the people as to the nature of the Universe. When they realize that the transcendent force of the Spirit or Mind of the Cosmos is within each individual, it will be possible to frame laws that shall consider the liberties of the many instead of the privileges of the few.
- As long as the people regard the Cosmic power as non-human and alien to humanity, so long will it be comparatively easy for a supposedly privileged class to rule by Divine right in spite of every protest of social sentiment. The real interest of humanity is therefore to exalt, emancipate, and recognize the divinity of the human spirit, and to exercise the power within. No human being has any more power than any other human being, except such as may willingly be delegated to him. The old regime would have us believe that the law was superior to the law-makers, and herein is the gist of the social crime of every form of privilege and personal inequality becaue it institutionalizes the fatalistic doctrine of Divine election.
- The Divine Mind is the Universal Mind. It does not act through sheer caprice, or from anger, jealousy, or wrath. Neither can it be flattered, cajoled, or moved by sympathy or petition to supply man with something which he imagines necessary for his happiness or even for his existence. The Divine Mind makes no exceptions in favour of any individual. But when the individual understands and realizes his Unity with the Universal Principle, he will appear to be favoured because he will have found the source of all health, all wealth, and all power.
- For your next exercise, concentrate on the Truth. Try to realize that the Truth shall make you free: that is, nothing can permanently stand in the way of your perfect success when you learn to apply the scientifically correct thought methods and principles. Realize that you are externalizing in your environment your inherent soul potencies. Realize that the Silence offers an ever-available and almost unlimited opportunity for awakening the highest conception of Truth. Try to comprehend that Omnipotence itself is Absolute Silence; all else is change, activity, limitation. Silent thought concentration is therefore the true method of reaching, awakening, and then expressing the wonderful potential power of the world within.
"Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous.
"The possibilities of thought training are infinite, its consequence eternal, and yet few take the pains to direct their thinking into channels that will do them good, but instead leave all to chance." MARDEN.
Questions and Answers
201. What is the real secret of power?
A. The consciousness of power, because whatever we become conscious of is invariably manifested in the objective world, is brought forth into tangible expression.
202. What is the source of this power?
A. The Universal Mind, from which all things proceed, and which is one and indivisible.
203. How is this power being manifested?
A. Through the individual. Each individual is a channel whereby this energy is being differentiated in form.
204. How may we connect with this Omnipotence?
A. Our ability to think is our ability to act on this Universal Energy, and what we think is what is produced or created in the objective world.
205. What is the result of this discovery?
A. The result is nothing less than marvellous; it opens unprecedented and limitless opportunity.
206. How, then, may we eliminate imperfect conditions?
A. By becoming conscious of our Unity with the source of all power.
207. What is one of the distinctive characteristics of the Master Mind?
A. He thinks big thoughts, he holds ideas large enough to counteract and destroy all petty and annoying obstacles.
208. How do experiences come to us?
A. Through the law of attraction.
209. How is this law brought into operation?
A. By our predominant mental attitude.
210. What is the issue between the old regime and the new?
A. A question of conviction as to the nature of the Universe. The old regime is trying to cling to the fatalistic doctrine of Divine election. The new regime recognizes the divinity of the individual, the divinity of humanity.
"The power to think, consecutively and deeply and clearly, is an avowed and deadly enemy to mistakes, blunders, superstitions, unscientific theories, irrational beliefs, unbridled enthusiasm, and fanaticism." HADDOCK.