The Master Key
by Charles F Haanel
Fully to understand grand and beautiful thought requires, perhaps, as much time as to conceive it. JOUBERT
If you wish to enjoy the utmost practical benefit from The Master Key go slowly.
Transfuse into your mind the contents of one part only, each week for twenty-four weeks.
Realize the meaning of every phrase. The Glossary is there to help you.
Consult The Master Key constantly, as your perpetual help and stimulus.
Each time you read the work you will get a better understanding of the eternal cosmic principles.
Tell others of The Master Key so that more and more people may reciprocate with you, as conscious adepts in harmony.
The PublishersAddendum: In the context of the Ardue Web Site, I strongly advise readers to make the most of their opportunity to acquire the wisdom contained in this book by referring also to the materials listed under "See also:".
The Ardue Editor
This Part explains the cause of our present character, our present environment, our present ability, our present physical condition, and it tells how we can make our future what we wish it to be. It explains how the vast panorama of Nature is constantly being changed by simply changing rates of vibration. It tells how rates of vibration are constantly being changed in our bodies usually unconsciously, and often with detrimental and disastrous results. It tells how we may consciously change this situation and thus bring about harmonious and salutary conditions. It explains that the Law of Health is based on the law of vibration, and that with a proper knowledge of the law we may externalize inward health conditions. It explains the operation of this law, how it is being more generally understood and appreciated, and how many physicians are now giving the matter their earnest attention.
The Law of Vibration
In Part Twenty-Two you will find that thoughts are spiritual seeds which, when planted in the subconscious mind, have a tendency to sprout and grow. Unfortunately, the fruit is frequently not to our liking.
The various forms of inflammation, paralysis, nervousness, and diseased conditions generally, are the manifestation of fear, worry, care, anxiety, jealousy, hatred, and similar thoughts.
Life processes are carried on by two distinct methods: firstly, by taking in and making use of nutritive material necessary for constructing cells; secondly, by secretion and excretion of waste material.
All life is based upon these constructive and destructive activities. As food, water, and air are the only requisites necessary for the construction of cells, it would seem that the problem of indefinitely prolonging life would not be a very difficult one.
However, strange it may seem, it is the second or destructive activity that is, with rare exceptions, the cause of all disease. The waste material accumulates and saturates the tissues, causing auto-intoxication which may be partial or general. In the first case, the disturbance will be local; in the second, it will affect the whole system.
In the healing of disease, the problem before us is to increase the inflow and distribution of vital energy throughout the system. This can be done only by eliminating thoughts of fear, worry, care, anxiety, jealousy, hatred, and every other destructive thought which tends to tear down and destroy the nerves and glands which control the excretion and elimination of poisonous waste matter.
"Nourishing foods and strengthening tonics" cannot bestow life because they are but secondary manifestations of life. The primary sustainer of life, and how you may get in touch with it, is explained in Part Twenty-Two.
Point by Point
- Knowledge is of priceless value. By applying knowledge, we can make our future what we wish it to be. When we realize that our present character, our present environment, our present ability, our present physical condition all result from past methods of thinking, we shall begin to have some conception of the value of knowledge.
- If the state of our health is not all that could be desired, let us examine our method of thinking. Let us remember that every thought produces an impression on the mind and that every impression is a seed which will sink into the subconscious and form a tendency. The tendency will be to attract other similar thoughts and, before we know it, we shall have a crop which must be harvested.
- If our thoughts contain disease germs, the harvest will be sickness, decay, weakness, and failure. What are we thinking? What are we creating? What shall the harvest be?
- If it is necessary to change any physical condition, the law governing visualization will be found effective. Make a mental image of physical perfection and hold it in mind until it is absorbed by the subconsciousness. By this method, many have eliminated chronic ailments in a few weeks. Thousands have overcome and destroyed all manner of ordinary physical disturbances by this method in a few days, sometimes even in a few minutes.
- It is through the law of vibration that the mind exercises this control over the body. We know that every mental action is a vibration, and we know that all form is simply a combination of rates of vibration. Therefore any given vibration immediately modifies every atom in the body; every life cell is affected, and an entire chemical change is made in every group of life cells.
- Everything in the Universe is what it is by virtue of its rates of vibration. Change a rate of vibration and you change the nature, quality, and form. The vast panorama of Nature, both visible and invisible, is constantly being changed simply by changing rates of vibration. As thought is a vibration, we ourselves can also exercise this power. We can change the vibrations of our thought and thus produce any condition which we desire to manifest in our bodies.
- We are all using this power every minute. The trouble is that most of us are using it unconsciously and thus producing undesirable results. Our problem is to use it intelligently and produce only desirable results. This should not be difficult: we have all had sufficient experience to know what produces pleasant vibrations in the body, and we also know the causes which produce the unpleasant and disagreeable sensations.
- All that is necessary is to consult our own experience. When our thought has been uplifted, progressive, constructive, courageous, noble, kind, or in any other way desirable, we have set in motion vibrations which brought about certain results. When our thought has been filled with envy, hatred, jealousy, criticism, or any of the other thousand and one forms of discord, certain vibrations were set in motion which brought about certain other results of a different nature. If kept up, each of these rates of vibration crystallized in form. In the first case, the result was mental, moral, and physical health; in the second case, it was discord, disharmony, and disease.
- We can understand, then, something of the power which the mind possesses over the body.
- The objective mind has certain effects on the body which are readily recognized. Someone says something to you which strikes you as ludicrous and you laugh possibly until your whole body shakes, showing that thought has control over the muscles of your body. Someone says something which excites your sympathy and your eyes fill with tears, showing that thought controls the glands of the body. Someone says something which makes you angry and the blood mounts to your cheek, showing that thought controls the circulation of your blood. But as these experiences are all the results of the action of your objective mind over the body, the results are of a temporary nature; they soon pass away and leave the situation as it was before.
- Let us now compare the action of the subconscious mind over the body. You receive a wound: thousands of cells at once begin the work of healing, and in a few days or a few weeks the work is complete. You may even break a bone. No surgeon on earth can weld the parts together; all he can do is set the bone for you. The subjective mind will immediately begin the process of welding the parts together, and in a short time the bone is as solid as it ever was. You may swallow poison: the subjective mind will immediately discover the danger and make violent efforts to eliminate it. You may become infected with a dangerous germ: the subjective mind will at once commence to build a wall around the infected area and destroy the infection by absorbing it in white blood corpuscles which it supplies for the purpose.
- These processes of the subconscious mind usually proceed without our personal knowledge or direction. So long as we do not interfere, the result is perfect; but, as these millions of repair cells are all intelligent and respond to our thought, they are often paralysed or diverted and rendered impotent by our thoughts of fear, doubt, and anxiety. They are like an army of workmen ready to start an important piece of work, but every time they get fairly started on the undertaking, a strike is called or plans are changed until they finally get discouraged and give up.
- The way to health is founded on the law of vibration which is the basis of all science. This law is brought into operation by the mind, by the "world within". It is a matter of individual effort and practice. Our world of power is within; if we are wise, we shall not waste time and effort in trying to deal with effects as we find them in the "world without", which is only an external reflection of the "world within".
- We shall always find the cause in the "world within"; by changing the cause, we change the effect.
- Every cell in your body is intelligent and will respond to your direction. The cells are all creators and will create the exact pattern which you give them.
- Therefore, when perfect images are placed before the subjective, the creative energies will build a perfect body.
- Brain cells are constructed in the same way. The quality of the brain is governed by the state of mind or mental attitude, so that if undesirable mental attitudes are conveyed to the subjective they will inevitably be transferred to the body. We can therefore readily see that if we wish the body to manifest health, strength, and vitality, this must be our predominant thought.
- We know, then, that every element of the human body is the result of a rate of vibration.
- We know that mental action is a rate of vibration.
- We know that a higher rate of vibration governs, modifies, controls, changes, or destroys a lower rate of vibration.
- We know that the rate of vibration is governed by the character of brain cells.
- Finally, we know how to create these brain cells.
- Therefore we know how to make any physical change we desire in the body. Having secured a working knowledge of the power of mind to this extent, we have come to know that there is practically no limitation which can be placed upon our ability to place ourselves in harmony with omnipotent natural law.
- This influence or control by the mind over the body is coming to be more and more generally understood. Many physicians are now giving the matter their earnest attention. Dr. Albert T. Shofield, who has written several important books on the subject, says: "The subject of mental therapeutics is still ignored in medical works generally. In our physiologies, no reference is made to the central controlling power that rules the body for its good, and the power of the mind over the body is seldom spoken of.
- "No doubt many physicians treat nervous diseases of functional origin wisely and well, but what we contend is that the knowledge they display was taught at no school, was learned from no book, but is intuitive and empirical.
- "This is not as it should be. The power of mental therapeutics should be the subject of careful, special, and scientific teaching in every medical school. We might pursue the subject of maltreatment or want of treatment in further detail and describe the disastrous results of neglected cases; but the task is an invidious one.
- "There can be no doubt that few patients are aware how much they can do for themselves. What the patient can do for himself, the forces he can set in motion, are as yet unknown. We are inclined to believe that they are far greater than most imagine, and will undoubtedly be used more and more. Mental therapeutics may be directed by the patient himself to calming the mind; by arousing feelings of joy, hope, faith, and love; by suggesting motives for exertion; by regular mental work; by diverting the thoughts from the malady."
- For your next exercise concentrate on Tennyson's beautiful lines:
"Speak to Him, thou, for He hears,
And spirit with spirit can meet,
Closer is He than breathing,
And nearer than hands and feet."
Then try to realize that, when you do "Speak to Him", you are in touch with Omnipotence.
- This realization and recognition of this Omnipresent power will quickly destroy any and every form of sickness or suffering, and substitute harmony and perfection. Then remember there are those who seem to think that sickness and suffering are sent by God. If so, every physician, every surgeon, and every Red Cross nurse is defying the will of God, and hospitals and sanatoria are places of rebellion instead of houses of mercy. Of course, this quickly reasons itself into an absurdity, but there are many who still cherish the idea.
- Then let the thought rest on the fact that until recently, Theology has been trying to teach an impossible Creator one who created beings capable of sinning and then allowed them to be eternally punished for such sins. Of course, the necessary outcome of such extraordinary ignorance was to create fear instead of love; and so, after two thousand years of this kind of propaganda, Theology is now busily engaged in apologizing for Christendom.
- You will then the more readily appreciate the ideal man, the man made in the image and likeness of God, and you will the more readily appreciate the all-originating Mind that forms, upholds, sustains, originates, and creates all there is.
"All are but parts of one stupendous whole,
Whose body nature is, and God the soul."
Opportunity follows perception, action follows inspiration, growth follows knowledge, eminence follows progress. Always the spiritual first, then the transformation into the infinite and illimitable possibilities of achievement.
Questions and Answers
211. How may sickness be eliminated?
A. By placing ourselves in harmony with Natural Law which is Omnipotent.
212. What is the process?
A. Realization that man is a spiritual being and that this spirit must necessarily be perfect.
213. What is the result?
A. Conscious recognition of this perfection, first intellectually, then emotionally, brings about a manifestation of it.
214. Why is this so?
A. Because thought is spiritual and therefore creative and correlates with its object and brings it into manifestation.
215. What Natural Law is brought into operation?
A. The Law of Vibration.
216. Why does this govern?
A. Because a higher rate of vibration governs, modifies, controls, changes, or destroys a lower rate of vibration.
217. Is this system of mental therapeutics generally recognized?
A. Yes. There are several million people in the world who make use of it in one form or another.
218. What is the result of this system of thought?
A. For the first time in the world's history, every man's highest reasoning faculty can be satisfied by a demonstrable truth which is now fast flooding the world.
219. Is this system applicable to other forms of supply?
A. It will meet every human requirement or necessity.
220. Is this system scientific or religious?
A. Both. True science and true religion are twin sisters; where one goes the other necessarily follows.
"Silent thought is, after all, the mightiest agent in human affairs". CHANNING.