The Master Key
by Charles F Haanel
Fully to understand grand and beautiful thought requires, perhaps, as much time as to conceive it. JOUBERT
If you wish to enjoy the utmost practical benefit from The Master Key go slowly.
Transfuse into your mind the contents of one part only, each week for twenty-four weeks.
Realize the meaning of every phrase. The Glossary is there to help you.
Consult The Master Key constantly, as your perpetual help and stimulus.
Each time you read the work you will get a better understanding of the eternal cosmic principles.
Tell others of The Master Key so that more and more people may reciprocate with you, as conscious adepts in harmony.
The PublishersAddendum: In the context of the Ardue Web Site, I strongly advise readers to make the most of their opportunity to acquire the wisdom contained in this book by referring also to the materials listed under "See also:". This is particularly important in the case of Part 24.
The Ardue Editor
This Part explains the entire theory and practice of every system of Metaphysics. It tells how to express harmony, how to express health, how to express abundance. It explains the nature of all conditions and how they may be changed or removed. It explains how every difficulty, no matter what or where it is, can be removed or dissolved, and it explains the only way in which this is ever done or can be done. It also tells of a Master Key by which those who are wise enough to understand, broad-minded enough to weigh the evidence, firm enough to follow their own judgment, and strong enough to make the sacrifice exacted, may enter and participate.
This is the final Part.
If you have, as suggested, practised each of the exercises for a few minutes every day, you will by now have found that you can get out of life exactly what you wish by first putting into life that which you wish. You will then probably agree with the adept who said: "The Master Key thought is almost overwhelming; it is so vast, so available, so definite, so reasonable, and so usable".
The fruit of this knowledge is, as it were, a gift of the gods: it is the "Truth" that makes men free not only from every lack and limitation, but free also from sorrow, worry, and care. Is it not wonderful to realize that omnipotent law is no respecter of persons; that it makes no difference what your past habit of thought may have been; that the way has been prepared?
If you are inclined to be religious, the greatest religious teacher the world has ever known made the way so plain that all may follow. If your mental bias is toward physical science, the law will operate with mathematical certainty. If you are inclined to be philosophical, Plato or Emerson may be your teacher. In either or in any other case, you may, by means of The Master Key, reach degrees of power to which it is impossible to assign any limit.
An understanding of The Master Key is, I believe, the secret for which the ancient Alchemists sought, because it explains how gold in the mind may be transmuted into gold in the heart and in the hand.
Point by Point
- When scientists first put the Sun in the centre of the Solar System and sent the Earth spinning around it, there was immense surprise and consternation. The whole idea was sell-evidently false; nothing was more certain than the movement of the Sun across the sky, and anyone could see it descend behind the western hills and sink into the sea. Scholars raged and scientists rejected the idea as absurd; yet irrefutable evidence has finally carried conviction in the minds of all.
- We speak of a bell as a "sounding body"; yet we know that all the bell can do is produce vibrations in the air. When these vibrations come at the rate of sixteen a second they cause a sound to be heard in the mind. It is possible for the mind to hear vibrations at the rate of up to 38,000 a second. When the number increases beyond this, all is silence again. Thus we know that the sound is not in the bell: it is in our own mind.
- We speak, and even think, of the Sun as "giving light". Yet we know that it is simply giving forth energy which produces vibrations at the rate of four hundred trillion a second, causing what are termed light waves. Thus we know that what we call light is simply a form of energy and that what we see is the sensation caused in the mind by the motion of the light waves. When the number increases, the light changes in colour, each change in colour being caused by shorter and more rapid vibrations. Thus although we speak of the rose as being red, the grass as being green, or the sky as being blue, we know that the colours exist only in our minds, and are the sensations experienced by us as the result of the vibrations of light waves. When the vibrations are reduced below four hundred trillion a second, they no longer affect us as light, but we experience the sensation of heat. It is evident, therefore, that we cannot depend upon the evidence of the senses for our information concerning the realities of things; if we did we should believe that the Sun moved round the Earth, that the world was flat instead of round, that the stars were points of light instead of vast suns.
- The whole range of the theory and practice of any system of metaphysics consists in knowing the Truth concerning yourself and the world in which you live; in knowing that in order to express harmony, you must think harmony; in knowing that to express health, you must think health; and in knowing that to express abundance, you must think abundance. Before you can do this, you must reverse the evidence of the senses.
- When you come to know that every form of disease, sickness, lack, and limitation is simply the result of wrong thinking, you will have come to know "the Truth which shall make you free". You will see how mountains may be removed. If these mountains consist only of doubt, fear, distrust, or other forms of discouragement, they are none the less real, and they need only to be removed from the mind to be "cast into the sea".
- Your real work consists in convincing yourself of the truth of these statements. When you have succeeded in doing this, you will have no difficulty in thinking the truth. As has been shown, the truth contains a vital principle and will manifest itself.
- Those who heal diseases by mental methods have come to know this truth: they demonstrate it daily in their lives and in the lives of others. They know that life, health, and abundance are Omnipresent, filling all space; and they know that those who allow disease or lack of any kind to manifest have not as yet come into an understanding of this great law.
- As all conditions are thought creations and therefore entirely mental disease and lack are simply mental conditions in which the person fails to perceive the truth. As soon as the error is removed, the condition is removed.
- The method for removing this error is to go into the Silence and know the Truth. As all mind is one mind, you can do this for yourself or anyone else. If you have learned to form mental images of the conditions desired, this will be the easiest and quickest way to secure results; if not, results can be accomplished by argument, by the process of convincing yourself absolutely of the truth of your statement.
- One of the most difficult, as well as the most wonderful, statements to grasp is that no matter what the difficulty is, no matter where it is, no matter who is affected, you have no patient but yourself. You have to do nothing but convince yourself of the truth which you desire to see manifested.
- This is an exact scientific statement in accordance with every system of Metaphysics in existence, and no permanent results are ever secured in any other way.
- Concentration, forming Mental Images, Argument, and Auto-Suggestion are all simply methods by which you are enabled to realize the Truth.
- If you desire to help someone to destroy some form of lack, limitation, or error, the correct method is not to think of the person whom you wish to help; the intention to help him is entirely sufficient, as this puts you in mental touch with the person. Then drive out of your own mind any belief of lack, limitation, disease, danger, difficulty, or whatever the trouble might be. As soon as you have succeeded in doing this, the result will have been accomplished and the person will be free.
- But remember that thought is creative: and consequently, every time you allow your thought to rest on any inharmonious condition, you must realize that such conditions are apparent only; that they have no reality; that spirit is the only reality; and that it can never be less than perfect.
- All thought is a form of energy, a rate of vibration. A thought of the Truth is the highest rate of vibration known, and it consequently destroys every form of error in exactly the same way that Light destroys darkness. No form of error can exist when the "Truth" appears, so that your entire mental work consists in coming into an understanding of the Truth. This will enable you to overcome every form of lack, limitation, or disease of any kind.
- We can get no understanding of the truth from the world without; the world without is relative only. Truth is absolute. We must therefore find it in the "world within".
- To train the mind to see only Truth is to express only true conditions. Our ability to do this will be an indication of the progress we are making.
- The absolute truth is that the "I" is perfect and complete. The real "I" is spiritual, and can therefore never be less than perfect; it can never have any lack, limitation, or disease. The flash of genius does not originate in the molecular motion of the brain; it is inspired by the ego, the spiritual "I" which is one with the Universal Mind; it is our ability to recognize this Unity which is the cause of all inspiration, all genius. These results are far-reaching and have effect upon generations yet to come. They are the pillars of fire which mark the path that millions follow.
- Truth is not the result of logical training or of experimentation, or even of observation; it is the product of a developed consciousness. Truth within a Caesar manifests in a Caesar's deportment, in his life, in his action, and in his influence upon social reforms and progress. Your life, your actions, and your influence in the world will depend upon the degree of Truth which you are enabled to perceive, for Truth will manifest not in creeds but in conduct.
- Truth manifests in character. The character of a man should be the interpretation of his religion or whatever to him is Truth. This will be evidenced in the nature of his possessions. If a man complains of the drift of his fortune, he is as unjust to himself as if he should deny rational truth though it stand patent and irrefutable.
- Our environment and the innumerable circumstances and accidents of our lives already exist in the subconscious personality which attracts to itself the mental and physical material which is congenial to its nature. Thus is our future being determined from our present, and if there should be apparent injustice in any feature or phase of our personal life, we must look within for the cause, i.e., try to discover the mental fact which is responsible for the outward manifestation.
- It is this Truth which makes you "free" and it is the conscious knowledge of this Truth which will enable you to overcome every difficulty.
- The conditions with which you meet in the world without are invariably the result of the conditions obtaining in the world within. It therefore follows with scientific accuracy that by holding the perfect ideal in mind, you can bring about ideal conditions in your environment.
- If you see only the incomplete, the imperfect, the relative, the limited, these conditions will manifest in your life. If you train your mind to see and realize the spiritual ego, the "I" which is for ever perfect and complete, then only harmonious, wholesome, and healthful conditions will be manifested.
- As thought is creative and as truth is the highest and most perfect thought which anyone can think, it is self-evident that to think the truth is to create that which is true; and it is also evident that when truth comes into being, that which is false must cease to be.
- The Universal Mind is the totality of all mind in existence. Spirit is Mind, because spirit is intelligent. The words are, therefore, synonymous.
- The difficulty with which you have to contend is to realize that mind is not individual. It is omnipresent. It exists everywhere. In other words, there is no place where it is not. It is, therefore, Universal.
- Men have, heretofore, generally used the word "God" to indicate this Universal creative principle; but the word "God" does not convey the right meaning. Most people understand this word to mean something outside of themselves, while exactly the contrary is the fact. It is our very life. Without it we would be dead. We would cease to exist. The minute the Spirit leaves the body, we are as nothing. Therefore, Spirit is really all there is of us.
- Now the only activity which the Spirit possesses is the power to think. Therefore, thought must be creative because Spirit is creative. This creative power is impersonal, and your ability to think is your ability to control it and make use of it for the benefit of yourself and others.
- When the Truth of this statement is realized, understood, and appreciated, you will have come into possession of the Master Key. But never for a moment forget that only those who are wise enough to understand, broad-minded enough to weigh the evidence, firm enough to follow their own judgment, and strong enough to make the sacrifice exacted, may enter and participate.
- Now, try to realize that this is truly a wonderful world in which we live; that you are a wonderful being; that many are awakening to a knowledge of the Truth; and that as fast as they awaken and come into a knowledge of the "things which have been prepared for them" they, too, realize that until until now "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man" the splendour which exists for those who find themselves in the Promised Land. They have crossed the river of judgment and have arrived at the point of discrimination between the true and the false. They have found that all they ever willed or dreamed was but a faint concept of the dazzling reality.
"Though an inheritance of acres may be bequeathed, an inheritance of knowledge and wisdom cannot. The wealthy man may pay others for doing his work for him, but it is impossible to get his thinking done for him by another, or to purchase any kind of self-culture." S. SMILES.
Questions and Answers
231. Upon what principle do the theory and practice of every system of Metaphysics in existence depend?
A. Upon a knowledge of the "Truth" concerning yourself and the world in which you live.
232. What is the "Truth" concerning yourself?
A. The real "I" or ego is spiritual and can therefore never be less than perfect.
233. What is the method of destroying any form of error?
A. To absolutely convince yourself of the "Truth" concerning the condition which you wish to see manifested.
234. Can we do this for others?
A. The Universal Mind in which "we live and move and have our being" is one and indivisible; it is therefore just as possible to help others as to help ourselves.
235. What is the Universal Mind?
A. The totality of all mind in existence.
236. Where is the Universal Mind?
A. The Universal Mind is omnipresent; it exists everywhere. There is no place where it is not. It is therefore within us. It is "The World Within". It is our spirit, our life.
237. What is the nature of the Universal Mind?
A. It is spiritual and consequently creative. It seeks to express itself in form.
238. How may we act on the Universal Mind?
A. Our ability to think is our ability to act on the Universal Mind and bring what we think into manifestation for the benefit of ourselves or others.
239. What is meant by thinking?
A. Clear, decisive, calm, deliberate, sustained thought with a definite end in view.
240. What will be the result?
A. You will be able to say, "It is not I that doeth the works, but the 'Father' that dwelleth within me, He doeth the works". You will come to know that the "Father" is the Universal Mind and that He does really and truly dwell within you. In other words, you will come to know that the wonderful promises made in the Bible are fact, not fiction, and can be demonstrated by anyone having sufficient understanding.